Hallway Overhaul - Before & After

The After

Our house was built in the very early 1900s which is great for tall ceilings and character, but sometimes the space is not as fit for modern lifestyles as we would like.


The Before

Case in point - we have a very long, very thin hallway from the front door leading to the stairs and dining room. It's used only as an entry way but I found it a bit dull and unwelcoming. For a while now I have wanted to give it a refresh and so we did.


Now I confess I am purely the creative director and all the hard work was done by my long suffering boyfriend!



We decided to decorate using the same colours as in our Living room (Aspen Silver by Crown on the walls, eggshell on the woodwork), creating a better flow and overall more elegant feel. As it's thin we opened up the space with that reliable old trick of adding mirrors, in our case three of them, along a previously dead wall space.


Wall colour and wood work now match the Living room
We also got rid of the old brass light fitting and went for something more modern but still in keeping with the age of the house (we chose this from IKEA). Being blessed with high ceilings meant we could get a light that would dangle down from a chain. 




Believe it or not from the pictures, but we also thinned out the number of coats we were loading onto the coat hooks by the door.


Textured wallpaper was here when I moved in


Finally I set about adding accessories to spruce up the space and voila! We have a much more spacious feeling hallway and one that is no longer at odds with our living room. We love it!




Hope you find some inspiration in our transformation!


What DIY are you planning on tackling this summer?

Comments

  1. This looks great - I can't believe how much of a difference lighter paint and mirrors can make! I wish I was this pro-active with decorating

    http://hazebeaulie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - yes it came out better than we imagined! Good luck with your decorating :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meet My Lucy

July Goals 2016