An Evening Routine : Simplify Your Life Series 2016

The work/life balance is a constant battle of good versus evil. The evil part of me wants to sit watching YouTubes and recorded TV programmes all evening, but the good part of me knows that if I don't get certain small jobs done that evening, the next day will most likely suck big time! 

Sounds a bit melodramatic I know, but I find if I do the following four simple tasks before I go to bed every "school night" I am on to a winner the next day. My mood is better, I feel more organised at the start of my work day and it helps me keep a clear head for the challenges the work day will no doubt bring.

Clear up after dinner:
Something it took me a surprisingly long time to get into the habit of doing.  As a moody teenager I'd always "harumph" at my Mum's insistence on washing up after every meal, but now I work full time, as she did, I finally understand how much this small task can improve your mood at the start of the next day.  If faced with a mountain of stinky used pots in the morning I seem to take it out on the people I work with!



Choose my outfit:
Again a very quick and easy task to undertake prior to going to bed. After my wardrobe cull last year I have a lot less clothing to choose from. This enables me to quickly decide on what I want to wear to work the next day, so when I wake up all groggy eyed I don't have to even think about what I'm climbing into, as my more awake self took care of us the previous day.

Pack my lunch:
If I don't do this the night before I tend to make a lazy decision in the morning not to bother. This leads to me eating less healthy food from the works canteen. If I make the effort to pack my lunch I save myself from all those extra bad calories. 

Sort out my handbag:
Plus anything else I need to take to work with me the next day. Having it all laid out (yes in the same place every day) ensures I don't forget anything crucial whilst I'm still waiting for the caffeine to kick in. 

The biggest benefit for me of having a simple routine like this is that my day starts off in an organised and stress free way that I can then do my best to maintain throughout the rest of my day.  If I start the day in a mess and having to think too hard then I can guarantee the rest of the day will not go to plan and I will end it feeling an out of control failure and more exhausted.



I'd love to hear what you have to do every night to stay on top of your day.  Do you find a routine helps or are you more of a free spirit?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet My Lucy

July Goals 2016